Luxury 5-bed home in West Berkshire
Regional finalist for LABC Building Excellence Award 2017, this Turnkey solution was carried out by SC4 Carpenters Ltd in just 20 weeks from completion of groundworks.
The brief for this "grand design" was to create an energy efficient modern home that echoed the original 1930s
cedar-clad house, offering extensive views
in this area of outstanding natural beauty (AONB). The resulting house is modern but with a classic feel and layout
to meet the diverse and changing
needs of a 4-generation family.
Demolition and groundworks commenced in October 2014 with the timber frame structure being delivered in March 2015.
The main structure was erected in one
day, and watertight within a couple of weeks, enabling the owners to move in by August 2015.
SC4 Carpenters Ltd oversaw all aspects of the build including the design, planning consent, demolition and construction, carrying out the:
- timberframe erect, carpentry and roofing
- kitchen and window fitting
as well as managing the demolition, ground works, mechancial, electrical and heating works, including photovoltaics and a pellet-based biomass boiler feeding under floor heating.
The installation, all to a very high standard of finish, included:
- Timber frame construction over an insulated concrete form (ICF) basement
- Western Red Cedar cladding
- Green oak feature truss
- Aluminum faced wooden windows upto 4m wide facilitating solar gain
- 3 master bedrooms over two floors with ensuites and sliding glass doors leading onto terrace/veranda
- 2 further bedrooms and family bathroom
- Galleried attic room with hidden flat roof
- Main living room with vaulted ceiling and wood-burning stove
- Large kitchen-diner suited to needs of a four-generation house opening onto a glass roofed terrace and deck.
- 40 kW wood pellet boiler and external 3.5t pellet hopper
- 22-zone underfloor heating system
- 4 kW PV (16 solar panels)
If you have a project coming soon and require a quotation or further information please contact us.